Saturday, March 15, 2008

Since I now have a website for my photography, I am going to use this space in a different way. The Road Trip book is available for download on Lulu.com/rogerhagan and does not need to be continued here.

The website is www.rogerhagan.com

I have been thinking a lot about photography as art, and I plan to give a "conferencia" on it in Guadalajara this May, in connection with my exhibit there of about 60 prints from "Mexico 1953." So I am putting my thoughts here for development and critique.

One thing I have pondered is whether to put captions beside the pictures: should there be none, or a simple name of location, or a more extensive caption? Because I make a lot of the concept of "noticing" in discussing photography, I incline at times to give a caption which leads the viewer to what I think makes the picture work. But this is doing the noticing for the viewer. Sometimes the simple caption "untitled" is just as effective in getting a viewer to think, or rather, to observe.

Not that all pictures need to be thought about. Some are simply pretty or informational or have a "wow" factor, like great sports photography which highlights the critical moment of an action. But some of mine work, for me, because of things the viewer might not notice. I suppose it could be argued that any photograph that needs a caption is not good enough to be art. I must review that opinion at length.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home