Sunday, March 16, 2008

The notes on the negative envelope say they were Omar and Isidorio. They had run away from a summer of working in the fields up north to hitch rides and see their country.

I could not remember how we got together with them when I made the book "Mexico 1953: The Roadtrip" back in 2005, but when I finally found Fred Chez, my traveling companion, after 52 years of not being in touch, he said "Don't you remember? Mr. Villa Lobos met them in a park as we were walking with him in Tepic, and when he found out what they were doing, asked us to give them a ride. You didn't want to, because of all the camera equipment and there being no back seat in the car, just a metal trunk. Mr. Villa Lobos said, 'Look, I trusted you, didn't I? Won't you trust these boys?'" No wonder I forgot. He put us to shame. The two turned out to be good company, funny and helpful, for the next couple of weeks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home